An overview of appetizers- Types and recipes
An appetizer is a portion of a meal that is served before the main course and is often shared by several people. It is a small serving that is supposed to stimulate your appetite. The right appetizers can add an oomph factor to your party. To make a meal or party perfect, choose a variety of appetizers to attract your guests and serve them in a way that delights both taste and sight.
What are the different types of appetizers?
Appetizers are grouped into various sections and by choosing a variety of appetizers you can get different tastes or enhance your guest’s taste buds. In general, appetizers are classified into five families, they are as follows:
- Garden appetizers– Garden appetizers mainly include vegetables, fruits, potatoes, and olives.
- Starch appetizers– Starch appetizer include breadsticks, crackers, finger sandwiches, dumplings, pizza, bruschetta, buns, and more.
- Protein appetizers– Protein appetizers include more protein-rich items like egg dishes, meatballs, chicken, and meat.
- Snack appetizers– Snack appetizers include light items like cheese cubes, nuts, chips, pretzels, popcorn, etc.
- Dips and spreads– Dips and spreads appetizers usually includes guacamole, cheese dips, hummus, cheese spreads, salmon spreads, etc.
How to choose and serve appetizers?
- The number of appetizers should be selected based on the number of guests. Choose different appetizers from different groups of appetizers. Ensure to select appetizers based on the food preference of your guests.
- You can serve cold appetizers at any time during a party and it can be placed on a table so that anyone can take it whenever he or she requires it.
- Hot appetizers should be served fresh and need to be served on a large tray or platter.
- Serve appetizer in a proper tray because serving foods in a tray makes it easier for you to take around to each guest at your party.
- Trays also make it convenient for you to refill appetizers after your guests finish the first batch of them.
- Appetizers that include cheese should also be served fresh from the oven.
- Warm appetizers like cooked vegetable can be served at room temperature without impacting the quality.
What is the recipe for an apple blue cheese chutney?
- For making apple blue cheese chutney you will need 2 ½ cups of peeled and finely chopped Braeburn apples (2 large), 1 cup apple cider, ½ cup crumbled blue cheese, ¼ cup finely chopped shallots, ¼ cup golden raisins, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 tablespoons of cider vinegar, 2 teaspoon canola oil, 1 ½ teaspoon chopped and divided fresh thyme, and Kosher sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper as per taste.
- Bring to heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to the saucepan and swirl to coat it.
- Add shallots and saute for a minute to soften them.
- Now, add cider, cider vinegar, brown sugar, raisins, and chopped apples to the saucepan and bring to boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer (uncovered) for about 25 minutes, or until most of the liquid evaporates and the apples turn very tender.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in a ¾ teaspoon of thyme and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cool the mixture at room temperature and then gently stir in blue cheese.
- Finally, sprinkle the remaining thyme.
What is the recipe for grilled stuffed jalapenos?
- For making grilled stuffed jalapenos you will need 14 jalapeno peppers that are halved lengthwise and seeded, 2 slices center-cut bacon, ½ cup softened cream cheese, ¼ cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, ¼ cup minced green onion, 1 teaspoon of fresh lime juice, ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt, 1 minced small garlic clove, 2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro, and 2 tablespoons of chopped and seeded tomatoes.
- Start by preheating the grill to medium-high heat.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet on medium-high heat until it turns crispy. Remove the bacon and drain it using paper towels. Crumble the bacon.
- Mix together the bacon, the cheeses, minced green onion, fresh lime juice, kosher salt, and minced small garlic clove.
- Evenly divide the cheese mixture and fill it in the jalapeno pepper halves.
- Now, place the peppers with the cheese mixture side up on the grill and grill them for eight minutes or until the pepper bottoms are charred and the cheese mix turns light brown.